How to tackle your big Spring Clean this
1. Keep things close to hand – pop all your cleaning materials into a
handy basket or carrier to transport easily from room to room.
2. Invest in a good pair of rubber gloves. Doing this will protect
your hands and encourage you to clean a little more vigorously!
3. When cleaning anything work from the top down, moving from the
inside to the outside. That way you’ll avoid dirtying what you have just
4. Make small ongoing repairs around the house so things don‘t get
worse – stick down peeling paper and paint out ceiling stains etc. If
you're not the handy type then don’t just let your home fall into
disarray – get someone in and keep your home well maintained.
5. For sparkling-clean windows, use a smear free cleaner and then buff
to a perfect shine. Or try your Granny’s idea of newspaper and vinegar.
6. Don’t let the bedbugs bite! Steam-clean or vigorously vacuum your
mattress, keeping your bedroom windows open to let everything properly
air. Flip over your mattress (top to bottom and side to side) every
time you make the bed with fresh linen.
Clear your closet - swap your summer and winter wardrobes over and
vacuum pack your unseasonal clothes away for next year. Be ruthless - ifyou
didn’t wear it this year and you won’t fit into it again, give it to
charity and free up valuable storage space.
8. Sort your drawers! Empty out each one, wipe with a damp cloth and
examine the contents – throw away odd socks etc and use drawer
organisers for underwear.
9. If possible steam-clean your carpets, or simply vacuum but pay
special attention to corners and under furnishings as well as open
traffic areas. Make sure your vacuum is clean before you start to avoid
that dirty vacuum smell.
10.Drag a damp cloth along the point where carpets touch skirting boards
to pick up the hard to vacuum grit and grime which even the most
determined vacuum cleaner often leaves behind.
11.Pop in an air freshener to fragrance the air and ensure the freshness
of your hard work lasts. Try Ambi Pur 3volution Wild White Flowers
(£7.99 RRP for a starter plug), made with natural extracts, this is a
delicate and vibrant scent inspired by the indulgent fragrances of a
country garden in full bloom. The 3volution plug-in has three harmonic
fragrances that are released in a continuous cycle, one after the other,
every 45 minutes, so you can enjoy them again and again and again. You
can also enjoy the complementary fragrance of Wild White Rose in a
single perfume plug-in (£5.59 RRP for a starter plug, available from all
good supermarkets and independent retailers).
12.It’s time for the annual kitchen drawer marathon! Grab a bin bag and
ditch all the useless things you’ve collected over the last twelve
such as out of date vouchers and old take away menus.
13.Clean the inside of your microwave with a 50/50 solution of water and
14.Wipe down the inside of your fridge with lemon juice to keep it spic
and span and smelling fresh.
15.Clean teapots and stained mugs with a Bicarbonate of Soda paste.
* Ambi Pur 3volution Plug-in Wild White
Flowers provides continuous fragrance for 90 days (if used on a minimum
setting for 12 hours per day). Primary unit: £7.99 (RRP). Perfume
Refill: £4.49 (RRP)
* Ambi Pur Perfume Plug-in Wild White Rose provides continuous fragrance
for 80 days (if used on setting 2 for 12 hours per day). Primary unit:
£5.49 (RRP). Perfume Refill: £3.89 (RRP)
* Available from all good supermarkets and independent retailers